Presenting the first ever Reading Challenge from Books on the Nightstand! (Since it’s our first, I’m still a little unsure of the do’s and don’t's of creating a reading challenge, so I hope all of you RC veterans out there will look kindly on our freshman effort!)
A new book arrives in U.S. stores today, May 19th; Beowulf on the Beach by Jack Murnighan is an accessible, funny and extremely readable guide to 50 great works of literature, as chosen by the author. You can hear me rave more about this book on episode 31 of the podcast, which goes live May 20th.
Long story short, I was embarrassed at how few of the 50 books I had read, and have committed, this summer, to reading 4 classics I’ve never read before. Want to join me? The reading challenge is very flexible, but here are few “rules:”
- The reading challenge runs from May 25 – September 7, 2009 (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
- Read at least one book featured in Beowulf on the Beach, though you can, of course, read more.
- Write about your challenge and reading experience (on a blog, Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter, etc.)
- Feel free to use one of our beautiful reading challenge buttons on your blog (see above and below)
Pretty simple, huh? Click into this widget to see the Table of Contents, listing all of the books covered:
and now, for some free books:
Win one of FIVE signed copies of Beowulf on the Beach!
There are four different ways to enter:
- Comment on this blog post, telling us what your favorite classic is
- Comment on the discussion at Goodreads
- Comment on the discussion at Facebook
- Tweet the following on Twitter: “BOOKS ON THE NIGHTSTAND is giving away five signed copies of BEOWULF ON THE BEACH! To enter, tweet this! http://is.gd/Bn7A”
We’ll pick two winners from the blog comments and one from each of the other three “venues.” We’ll announce the winners on Sunday May 31st, so you’ll still have plenty of time to participate in the challenge… Good Luck and Good Reading!